Why they are the ultimate unsung heroes
It’s been an eight-hour day, you’ve had back-to-back patients, you’re running 30 minutes late and the last patient is an emergency.
It’s just a typical day in the life of a dental nurse. And even though it’s hard work, it’s no problem because you love what you do!
Quite simply, you wouldn’t have it any other way.
There is a common misconception that a dental nurse’s role is to simply use the suction and hand the patient the mouthwash and the rest of the time, you just sit there by the computer.
But that couldn’t be more wrong.
Dental nurses are highly-qualified healthcare professionals with a depth of knowledge and, usually, the patience of a saint.
Most, also, have the amazing ability to read a dentist’s mind. They have ready any material or instrument needed by the dentist in an instant.
Yes, to me, it’s pretty clear dental nurses are the ultimate unsung hero.
And, if any of you were in any doubt, here are some but definitely not all the reasons why they really are amazing:
- They are caring: A good dental nurse is able to put the most nervous patients at ease
- They are always on hand for the dentist: It allows them to give the best care to patients as quickly as possible Always there.
- They have the ability to sterilise an area within an inch of its life
- They manage the stock: If you haven’t got any gloves, you can’t carry out any procedures
- They manage the dentist’s time: These dentists can get carried away looking after their patients. But if things overrun, it’s the nurse who works out how to claw the time back
- They stay calm in an emergency: Being cool under pressure is vital and, quite simply, can save lives
- Know what the dentist wants before they ask: I’m not saying dental nurses are psychic, but they’re pretty close!
- And very importantly, they are always a dab hand and making decent a cup of tea or coffee!
Honestly, I could go on all day but I won’t!
So, as you can see, dental nurses are pretty heroic. At Dental Recruit Network, we recognise how amazing our candidates truly are.
And as we come towards the end of the year and prepare for our end of year company awards, we wanted to really shout about the industry’s “unsung heroes”.